Brief Historical Overview:
The Nathaniel Drake House was constructed for Nathaniel Drake and his new wife circa 1746, and remained in the Drake family until c. 1860 when Daniel Drake sold the property to John S. Harberger of New York City. The property remained in the possession of the Harberger family until 1921 when it was sold to a local civic organization who soon after turned it over to the Historical Society of Plainfield. The house has served as the headquarters of the Historical Society since that time and provides space for permanent exhibits and interpreted rooms as well as general exhibit, office and support space of the Society.
The Nathaniel Drake House is significant for its architecture and how the evolution of the building reflects the changes within Plainfield from an early colonial settlement to a modern suburb, its association with the Drake family, who were prominent early settlers in the region, as well as its association with General George Washington during the Battle of Short Hills.