Connolly & Hickey 

F. Blackwell House
Franklin Township, New Jersey
Client: NJDEP - Division of Natural and Historic Resources

F. Blackwell House

F. Blackwell House F. Blackwell House F. Blackwell House  
(click on image for larger view)
Brief Historical Overview:
The F. Blackwell House is located along the Delaware and Raritan Canal in Franklin Township. It has its origins in the mid-to-late-eighteenth century but has been modified through the years including into the early-twentieth century. The front of the house faces west toward the canal. The house is historically significant as a representative example of residential architecture in the Six Mile Run Historic District which is generally characterized by vernacular architecture utilizing traditional building practices of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Many of the dwellings in the district that were constructed or remodeled in the nineteenth century employed the Greek Revival or Italianate embellishments typical for the period.


Scope of Services:
Connolly & Hickey evaluated the existing exterior conditions of the house, which is currently used by the Community Forestry Program within the Division of Parks and Forestry, and developed a scope of work to repair and restore the exterior. Based on this evaluation, contract documents were prepared to install a new roof at all building components, restore the roof cornice including brackets, the exterior siding and trim, windows, doors, and both front porches. The scope of the project also includes upgrading the roof drainage system and the surface preparation and painting of the building exterior. Connolly & Hickey provided contract administration services during construction.

< Previous Next >

Connolly & Hickey  l   P.O. Box 1726  l   Cranford, New Jersey 07016  l   info@chhistoricalarchitects.com  l   973-746-4911   facebook