Connolly & Hickey 

Atsion Mansion
Wharton State Forest
Shamong Township, New Jersey
Client: NJDEP - Division of Natural and Historic Resources

Atsion Mansion

Atsion Atsion Atsion Atsion
Atsion Atsion Atsion Atsion
Atsion Atsion    
(click on image for larger view)
Brief Historical Overview:
Atsion Mansion was constructed in 1826 and was once the centerpiece of the then-thriving industrial town of Atsion, located in the New Jersey Pinelands. The mansion, which has been vacant since 1882, is a rare and intriguing cultural resource that has remained with a large portion of its historic fabric left intact from its original construction. The Atsion ironworks was developed by Samuel H. Richards in the early-nineteenth century, and the mansion served as his residence when the furnaces were in operation. Atsion experienced four distinct periods of prosperity from the early-nineteenth century through to c. 1882, and served as the heart of various industrial and agricultural operations until 1892 when the property was purchased by Joseph Wharton. The mansion from that point forward was used on a limited basis. The building and adjoining properties were purchased by the State of New Jersey in 1955 as part of the Wharton Tract. The adjacent store became a state park facility while the mansion remained vacant. Due to this extended period of vacancy, the building retains a high degree of architectural integrity on the exterior and interior.

Scope of Services:
A Historic Preservation Plan for Atsion Mansion was prepared in 2001 by members of Connolly & Hickey. The plan served as the basis for the preparation of the design and contract documents for the exterior and interior restoration of the Mansion. The work included restoration of the exterior stucco, the windows, doors and finish carpentry including the south, north and east porches, and the restoration of interior features and finishes including plaster walls and ceilings, plaster ceiling cornices, interior trim, and fireplace surrounds and mantles. In addition to the restoration work, the west porch was reconstructed in such a manner that a new accessible ramp providing access to the basement and first floor levels was installed within the large footprint of the porch so that it is not readily visible from the street. The west porch was reconstructed based on significant documentation prepared when it was removed in the 1960s.

  Next >

Connolly & Hickey  l   P.O. Box 1726  l   Cranford, New Jersey 07016  l   info@chhistoricalarchitects.com  l   973-746-4911   facebook